Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lucy

Hi,

On using the form builder for users to submit location information it requests the full address including state/country etc (where the United States seems default). My website is in the UK and concentrates on only one area so I require the location information to omit some of the required location information. I only need first line of address, the town or village in my dedicated vicinty and post code. Is this possible? Will this cause problems with the map results?

Thank you

Hi,

BePro Listings requires the country or the postal. Nothing else is required to generate a lat/lon (marker on the map)

So if you are using the address field, you can remove it. Then create your own fields using the form builder. Remember, you can label the fields whatever you want, postal, village etc. However note, the “field names” are very important and we talk about this in the following article

https://www.beprosoftware.com/documentation/customizaing-bepro-listings-fields/
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Lucy

So I can completely remove the address field and have a field name asking for a postcode only that will then link to Google maps per the listing?

How does that field then know to generate the location on the map? Do you have to edit the ‘show map’ shortcode asking for it to include the postcode field?

Sorry, my head is finding it very difficult to get around this =)

Hi,

We are here to help you under stand it all 🙂

No, you do not have to edit any shortcodes. Any address accepted by maps.google.com, resulting in a single point being highlighted on the map, will work for BePro Listings.

When the address is submitted, it is sent to google via its maps api. If google responds with a single lat/lon, we store that result. We then use that information for calculating distance between listings. This is all explained in the following article

https://www.beprosoftware.com/documentation/types-of-searching/

We also have a past forum discussion with a customer where we talk in depth about the google map search feature

https://www.beprosoftware.com/forums/topic/where-search-not-finding-country/

By the nature of postal/zip codes, google creates a general lat/lon in the center of that region. In some cases its a house, in others its a wide area. Obviously, a complete address narrows the search further. With the Form Builder, you decide how specific your users need to be.
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Lucy

Thank you, I have read through the above article and forum discussions but not sure if it solves my problem.

My website concentrates on one particular area here in the UK. The address field is asking for address, city, country and zip/postcode. A bit much.

Is there a way I can just ask the user for their zip/postal code only for this to generate a google maps destination within the listing?

Do I have to use the full address field provided in the form builder in order for google maps to generate the lat/lon or can I just replace that full address field with one single form field asking for just the zip/postcode?

Many thanks

Hi,

Yes, replace the address field with one form field for zip/postal.
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Lucy

I’m really sorry if I sound stupid, trying every way for it to work!

I have specified the field name as zip/postal

Is this exactly what the field name is supposed to read? It stil is not working! Arggghhh

Lucy

When I go into bepro listings> All listings> lat/lon? States no.

I have checked bepro listings options> General ‘Show geography’.

I specified a field name in the front end user form as ‘zip/postal’

Where have I gone wrong?

Hi,

There are two things to note here.

1. There is a Label. This is shown to the user. Name your label whatever you want
    2. There is a field name. This must be named “postcode” as outlined in the following article

https://www.beprosoftware.com/documentation/customizaing-bepro-listings-fields/

Remember, unlike other form builders, with BePro Listings the fields can actually do something other than sit in a database. They can create maps, searchable content and so much more. Whats causing your frustration is the fact that your “field name” must have a specific name. This is the only way that the program can recognize a field has a specific purpose.
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Lucy

This is exactly what I have done.

I’ve increased the address options and that didnt work. I have also reverted back to the full address field and that doesnt work. I have tried multiple addresses and none work.

Something is amiss, I have tried everything my end

Hi,

Sounds like an issue with BePro Listings not accepting the address.

– Does the stock form accept the address?
    – What does it show when you put that address in maps.google.com?
    – What options do you have selected in the BePro Listings admin options page (maps tab)?
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Lucy

Hi,

– Yes the stock form seems to have no problem accepting the address – I presume there would be an error?
    – When I input the address in maps.google.com it comes up perfect
    – Options in maps tab – I have tried both curl and file_get_contents (what difference does it make?). Google API is ticked. I also reduced map zoom. All to no avail!

Lucy

I have also sent an email as I seem to be blocked from posting any new content

Hi,

Please email an administrator login to [email protected]. Our team would be happy to take a look

___
    BePro Software Team

Hi,

Thanks for sharing access.

We tried using the stock form on your website and were not able to generate an address with the country and zip code fields. Can you share which values worked when you tested?

Once we confirm if the stock form is working or not, then we can provide options

Ultimately, we tested this on our test website and confirmed that this technique is working. Also, the customer in the following forum post also confirmed success with using this approach. So we are trying to isolate whats going on with your server why its not generating any addresses

https://www.beprosoftware.com/forums/topic/details-not-saving-location-or-profile/
    ___
    BePro Software Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.