September 24, 2015 at 2:40 pm #6867
Hello. I am using the shortcode [display_listing_categories] to filter my listings, and have a couple quetsions/requests:
1. Is it possible to remove the category count (the number in parenthesis after the category name)? When the results are queried using search and/or filter, those counts are no longer accurate and are confusing.
2. When I click a category to filter the results, it then only shows that category heading. There isn’t a way to get back to the other categories or view all unless I back up the browser or reload the page. Is it possible to always have all the category filters so viewers can “switch back and forth” between them, and also add a “View All” option to go back to displaying all listings?
If #2 above isn’t an option, I did discover that a workaround is to just click the “Clear Search” button and it will reset the page, so I could add instructions for users to click that button to restore all the listings or select a different category.
Here’s a link to my page for your reference: http://sph-centerweb.oit.umn.edu:8002/?page_id=1624
Thank you!!September 24, 2015 at 6:15 pm #6872
1. There are several category templates. Please refer to our shortcode documentation for options
2. Please review our main demo. As you noted, there are multiple instances where users can click a clear search button. One is on the main search and the other is on the search filter. There are 2 search filter options, a widget and a shortcode. The widget filter allows users to see all selected categories and select/deselect them as necessary. We do not offer any other way to clear the search; However, we are open to suggestions
BePro Software TeamOctober 6, 2015 at 12:34 pm #7027
Thank you for the help. I almost have it the way I want it – I just have one last request:
– Is there a way to remove the number count in parenthesis behind the category name? I just want it to display the category names without the count of how many listings are within that category. It’s confusing to have the count because once you filter them with a search, you would expect those numbers to change to reflect the filtered results, but they don’t change – they still reflect the total listings in that category, not how many matched the search. Therefore, I think it would just be easiest to remove the number count altogether – just have the category names.
Thank you!October 6, 2015 at 3:42 pm #7031
If I understand what you are referring to, the number reflects how many categories are selected, not the amount of listings in that category. Let us know if your testing shows otherwise.
BePro Software TeamOctober 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm #7033
Hi. Actually, it was showing the count of listings within each category. The category that has 1 listing had (1) after the name, the category that has 3 listings had (3) after the name, etc. I actually found it in the php file where it included the category count. I removed that and the numbers are now gone.October 6, 2015 at 5:55 pm #7036
Yes, you are right. I know what you are referring to now. I can definitely see how the listing count could be misleading. We will try to refine how this works.
Its not a good idea to alter the php files packaged with the plugin. Your changes will be overwritten when you upgrade the plugin. However, we are happy you found a short term fix while we evaluate a long term solution.
BePro Software Team
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.