Thanks for the extra details.
We just tested “BePro Listings Contact” with nothing else installed and its operating correctly. My assumption now is that there is an issue with how the plugin was installed. The exact same result is impossible because of the changes we made. Please try the following instructions
- delete the plugin completely via the wordpress plugin interface
- Download the new plugin from your “My Account” page
- Unzip the file on your computer
- Upload the unzipped file to your server’s plugin folder via ftp
- Install the plugin via the wordpress admin interface
Depending on how your server unzipped the files, its possible the folder hierarchy was messed up. This is not the plugin, zip file, or server’s fault. The plugin simply needs to be uploaded via ftp. Let me know if this fixes the issue.
BePro Software Team